Level Briefings Edit
|This dreary research and storage facility has a long record of minor psychological incidents due to the isolation and cold, but even so, details regarding the events that decimated the facility are sketchy at best.|
An extra-terrestrial organism is suspected to be involved, however, the junior recon team is certain it no longer poses a threat..
Already there are multiple conglomerates interested in acquiring the installation and collected data once you have executed your sanitation duties.
Work diligently, and with speed, as the facility is expected to be ’’swept’’ over via orbital bio-bomb to ensure security.
|Unreliable intel suggests a former colleague of yours has perished, possibly due to the sub-zero temperatures.|
We have officially listed them as KIA.
Whatever the case may be, we expect you to replace the deceased with due haste.
Ensure the installation is clean and orderly as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Use caution when working near your other technicians, they have not yet been ruled out as potential suspects...
Frostbite consists of a very large outdoor area filled with several "Aurora" company shipping containers, the Slosh-O-Matic, What-A-Load Disposal Bins bin dispenser, and Incinerator. On either side of this area are two underground tunnels leading to separate rooms. The first is a small office/laboratory filled with desks, boxes, solar flares, and two Mining Explosives. There is also an inaccessible door to the right of the room. The second tunnel leads to a larger underground ice-cave. This cave contains the Vendor and three open "ice boxes", two of which hold the mangled remains of mutant species.
- Slosh-O-Matic Bucket Dispenser
- What A Load Disposal Bins Bin Dispenser
- Laser Welder
- Solar Flares
- Mining Explosives
Secondary Objectives Edit
- Stack crates in their designated area.
- Stack barrels in their designated area.
- Find all 12 Personal Identification Devices, bring them to the Punchomatic, and fill out reports.
Tips and Trivia Edit
- Frostbite is a massive reference to the classic 1982 horror movie, The Thing, which takes place in an Antarctic research outpost. In this movie, scientists find a 100,000 year old extraterrestrial frozen in the ice, which eventually revives itself, killing numerous workers.
- PIDs can be found with the surnames Carpenter, Childs, Palmer, Dr. Blair, and Nauls. John Carpenter was the director of the movie, and the other names are direct references to characters from the movie. Even their "roles" in the level are similar, based on the Notes and Data Logs found around the map.
- Similarly, the Mission Log addresses a Col. MacReady. The protagonist of the movie was R. J. MacReady, played by Kurt Russel.
- There is a small cage/kennel in the underground science lab. In the film/storyline, the sled dogs in the kennels were the first to become infected.
- Fire is the only effective weapon against the creature in the film. This may explain why most of the barrels found on the map are red flammable ones, and a seemingly burnt pile of corpses is found near the second tunnel entrance.
- There is a body hidden on top of a shipping container near the Slosh-O-Matic. The J-HARM is required to reach this area.
- There is a Laser Welder in the second tunnel, but there are no bullet holes or lightning scars to repair anywhere on the map. The welder can be used to incinerate larger objects before disposal, but is otherwise unnecessary for achieving a perfect score for the level.
- There are two large digital message boards, one over each tunnel:
- WARNING: Containment Failure! All personnel remain on site and do not attempt to breach quarantine or security will open fire! The lifeform cannot be allowed to escape! More lives than your own may depend on your compliance.
- ATTENTION: All personnel are to present themselves for blood screenings by no later than 1400 hours. Failure to comply will result in immediate confinement and possible termination. Thank you for your understanding.
- In Frostbite, all digital screens, Data Logs, and the Punchomatic feature a snowflake theme (also seen in Cryogenesis) instead of the usual logo.
- Objects thrown outside of the level are very slowly destroyed, as if in a furnace. Trash can be safely disposed of by throwing it over the fences, but gibs and explosives will leave splatters and scorch marks that cannot be cleaned.