- "Thunder & Plunder, Don't Wonder" –Unicorp Mining Operations
Unearthly Excavation is a level in Viscera Cleanup Detail.
Level Briefings Edit
|Despite the catastrophic events that unfolded within this excavation site, you will perform your job with utmost delicacy and discretion.|
Unicorp officials will be inspecting the site this week, so work with haste to clean, sanitize and neaten the facility.
Failure to complete your work here within the time frame will result in termination of your contract, possibly more...
Do not be alarmed by any residual entities or artifacts that remain as a result of the events; it is your duty to conduct yourself professionally despite such obstructions.
|You are being hired as a replacement for a deceased colleague.|
Your fellow employee is presumed to have been devoured by an unidentified lifeform, exercise caution when performing your assigned duties.
Above all, avoid angering your co-workers, and ensure the facility is clean and orderly.
Do this and you may yet join the permanent staff, however dangerous they may be.
With a large layout, machines spread out across the map, and a plethora of hazards, Unearthly Excavation is arguably one of the most challenging levels in the game.
The map consists of a series of rooms and chambers of varying sizes. The area is divided by two separate locked gates, each requiring a passcode.
The player spawns in a small room containing the level's main Stacking Areas, at the far end of the map. A staircase leads down to a larger room containing the Slosh-O-Matic and a Pit Monster. Another set of stairs leads up to the first Keypad-protected gate. Past this is a large T-shaped hallway containing the Vendor and What A Load Disposal Bins machine. (The Big Banger Supernova can be found here as well.)
The hallway opens into a very large, sunlit circular central chamber surrounding the level's second (and largest) Pit Monster, as well as a spiral staircase leading up to a smaller room with the Incinerator and Punchomatic. Behind a gate in the Incinerator room is a hidden storage room, containing several crates, barrels, mining explosives, two Stacking Areas, and a small closet area behind a door. This closet contains several important items, such as Bob's remains and the Red Keycard. Items in this hidden area are not reflected in the player's score until it is unlocked.
Back in the central chamber, behind another locked gate is a long dirt tunnel branching off and into a large dirt-cavern. This cavern contains the third Pit Monster, an alien structure, and the Alien Artifact.
|Original Map Source|
- Slosh-O-Matic bucket Dispenser
- What A Load Disposal Bins Dispenser
- Laser Welder
- Solar Flare
- Mining Explosive
Primary Objectives Edit
- Common objectives to all levels: clean human blood splatters, incinerate viscera, dead bodies, trash, and bullet casings, as well as any sharp implements like knives.
- Use the Shovel to fill the Pit Monsters with sand until they are completely covered.
- Destroy/Incinerate the Artifact.
- Weld/fix any bullet holes.
- Stack crates in the designated area.
- Stack barrels in the designated areas.
- There are two separate designated areas: yellow and blue. The paint color corresponds to the color of the barrel to be stacked.
- NOTE: There are two more hidden stacking zones - one for crates and one for barrels, in the room past the Incinerator. Once found, objects from elsewhere on the map may be stacked there, and objects inside the room may be stacked in the original stacking areas. Both count equally toward the player's score, but the hidden areas are not counted if the player has not yet unlocked the gate.
Bob's note can be found behind a stack of barrels near the welder, in the same area as the Artifact.
Bob 11/07/2184After a series of horrible flights in which I stowed away in cargo crates for months, I boarded a security transport and have finally reached this planet.
Junior Executive Janitor
I had hoped to hide out down here, but something ain't right.
I've seen people attacking eachother for no reason. They are miners though, so who knows.
Hopefully me and my things will remain hidden away and safe from these thugs.
I feel strangely drawn to the altar. Like that's where my legacy should be. I have a bad feeling about this...
Three additional notes can also be found in the hidden room. These notes are covered here.
Tips and TriviaEdit
- The code to the first gate is 1795.
- The code to the second gate is 1104214539.
- Unearthly Excavation contains a large alien structure composed of several blue-green segments arranged as a rough archway, found in a large dirt cavern behind the second locked gate. The structure can be seen emitting an occasional electrical spark. The Artifact is found on a pedestal directly beneath the central arch of the structure.
- Unearthly Excavation is the only level to contain Pit Monsters, alien hazards that will kill any player who falls into them.
- Unearthly Excavation contains many references to the video game "Dead Space", including references to Aegis VII, the planet where "Dead Space" takes place.
Hidden Room Edit
- There is a hidden warehouse room behind the Incinerator room. It is initially blocked by an inaccessible gate, which can be opened by completing the quest to find Bob. In the warehouse there are many shelves, crates, barrels, mining explosives, and two extra Stacking Areas between the shelves - one for barrels, and one for crates. Along a wall there is a small door, which opens into a broom closet containing three of Bob's last notes, Bob's trunk, the Red Keycard, another collectible, and Bob himself, among several other objects.
- The items found in this area are not considered by the game to be "mess" objects, so if the player doesn't find this room it will not count against their completion score.