- "Thunder & Plunder, Don't Wonder" -Unicorp Mining Operations
|The starting area of Unearthly Excavation|
|Type||Heavy Metal Mining & Excavation Installation|
|Par-Time||1 hour, 22 minutes, and 19 seconds|
|Company||Unicorp Mining Operations|
Unearthly Excavation is a level in Viscera Cleanup Detail.
Despite the catastrophic events that unfolded within this excavation site, you will perform your job with utmost delicacy and discretion.
Unicorp officials will be inspecting the site this week, so work with haste to clean, sanitize and neaten the facility.
Failure to complete your work here within the time frame will result in termination of your contract, possibly more...
Do not be alarmed by any residual entities or artifacts that remain as a result of the events; it is your duty to conduct yourself professionally despite such obstructions.
You are being hired as a replacement for a deceased colleague.
Your fellow employee is presumed to have been devoured by an unidentified lifeform, exercise caution when performing your assigned duties. Above all, avoid angering your co-workers, and ensure the facility is clean and orderly. Do this and you may yet join the permanent staff, however dangerous they may be.
With a large layout, machines spread out across the map, and a plethora of hazards, Unearthly Excavation is arguably one of the most challenging levels in the game.
The map consists of a series of rooms and chambers of varying sizes. The area is divided by two separate locked gates, each requiring a passcode.
The player spawns in a small room containing the level's main Stacking Areas, at the far end of the map. A staircase leads down to a larger room containing the Slosh-O-Matic and a Pit Monster. Another set of stairs leads up to the first Keypad-protected gate. Past this is a large T-shaped hallway containing the Vendor and What A Load Disposal Bins machine. (The Big Banger Supernova can be found here as well.)
The hallway opens into a very large, sunlit circular central chamber surrounding the level's second (and largest) Pit Monster, as well as a spiral staircase leading up to a smaller room with the Incinerator and Punchomatic. Behind a gate in the Incinerator room is a hidden storage room, containing several crates, barrels, mining explosives, two Stacking Areas, and a small closet area behind a door. This closet contains several important items, such as Bob's remains and the Red Keycard. Items in this hidden area are not reflected in the player's score until it is unlocked.
Back in the central chamber, behind another locked gate is a long dirt tunnel branching off and into a large dirt-cavern. This cavern contains the third Pit Monster, an alien structure, and the Alien Artifact.
- Slosh-O-Matic bucket Dispenser
- What-A-Load Disposal Bins bin Dispenser
- Laser Welder
- Solar Flare
- Mining Explosive
- Stack crates in the designated area.
- Stack barrels in the designated areas.
- There are two separate designated areas: yellow and blue. The paint color corresponds to the color of the barrel to be stacked.
NOTE: There are two more hidden stacking zones - one for crates and one for barrels, in the room past the Incinerator. Once found, objects from elsewhere on the map may be stacked there, and objects inside the room may be stacked in the original stacking areas. Both count equally toward the player's score, but the hidden areas are not counted if the player has not yet unlocked the gate.
| Spoiler warning!|
This section may contain spoilers. Please proceed with caution.
Bob's note can be found behind a stack of barrels near the welder. It is dated 11/02/2184.
Junior Executive Janitor
After a series of horrible flights in which I stowed away in cargo crates for months, I boarded a security transport and have finally reached this planet.
I had hoped to hide out down here, but something ain't right.
I've seen people attacking eachother for no reason. They are miners though, so who knows.
Hopefully me and my things will remain hidden away and safe from these thugs.
I feel strangely drawn to the altar. Like that's where my legacy should be. I have a bad feeling about this...
Three additional notes can also be found in the hidden room. These notes are covered here.
Tips and TriviaEdit
- The code to the first gate is 1795.
- The code to the second gate is 1104214539.
- Unearthly Excavation contains a large alien structure composed of several blue-green segments arranged as a rough archway, found in a large dirt cavern behind the second locked gate. The structure can be seen emitting an occasional electrical spark. The Artifact is found on a pedestal directly beneath the central arch of the structure.
Pit Monsters Edit
This is the only level to contain Pit Monsters.
- Pit Monsters will consume any items that fall into them. This can be used as a disposal method, convenient when the player is far from the Incinerator. However, each time they are "fed", there is a chance that a Pit Monster will regurgitate at least one of the items thrown in, plus a random amount of viscera (both gibs and whole limbs). It will also spray out green digestive goo in a wide radius, creating extra messes for the player to clean up.
- In order to complete the level, all three Pit Monsters must be filled in with sand using the shovel. Once completely buried, they stop making sounds and become safe to walk over.
- The shovel is the only item the Pit Monsters will refuse to eat. If one is tossed inside a Pit Monster's mouth, it will just "bounce" back out onto the ground. Presumably this is a precaution so the player cannot lose the tool needed to fill the pits in the first place.
- Falling into a Pit Monster is one of the few ways a player can be killed in the game. There is even an achievement for being eaten by a Pit Monster.
- Normally, shovels are dropped if a player dies while carrying one. If the player dies from falling into a pit monster, the shovel may also be "eaten", since the player is holding it at the time, as opposed to it being a separate item. Recovering the shovel is possible by feeding the pit additional items until it regurgitates.
Hidden Room Edit
- There is a hidden warehouse room behind the Incinerator room. It is initially blocked by an inaccessible gate, which can be opened by completing the quest to find Bob. In the warehouse there are many shelves, crates, barrels, mining explosives, and two extra Stacking Areas between the shelves - one for barrels, and one for crates. Along a wall there is a small door, which opens into a broom closet containing three of Bob's last notes, Bob's trunk, the Red Keycard, another collectible, and Bob himself, among several other objects.
- The items found in this area are not considered by the game to be "mess" objects, so if the player doesn't find this room it will not count against their completion score.